Saturday, June 14, 2008

My big Sis...


This is Cynthia, my big Sister. Loving, protective, smart, courageous, strong and many times complicated. Sometimes I drive her crazy and sometimes she drives me crazy, but no one can deny how much we love each other.

When I was about 7 or 8 and she was about 9, back home in the DR, I got in trouble in school. The teacher, who acted more like those women dressed in black who fly around in a broom, decided to punish me by hitting the palm of my hands with a wooden ruler and I mean hitting them with all her strength (where was 911 when I needed it?). I stood in front of her and the whole class, as she enjoyed every second of my torture. I cried and cried, but she had no mercy. My big Sister, who happened to be in the room at the time, could not take it any longer and she stood up and screamed: "No more! Don't hit her anymore!" She stood next to me, put her hands out and said "hit me instead". My teacher looked at her and proceeded to slam the ruler on her hands. I stood there, I remember it so clearly as if I was there right now. I stood there watching how my Sister took my pain...all because she loved me. She loves me still...

Does the story sound familiar? Makes me think of Jesus hanging on a cross taking my shame, paying for my sins, dying in my place...all because He loved me. He loves me still. And me? I'm just so thankful for being so loved. Makes me love on my Sister even those days when she's complicated...makes me love my Jesus even those days when I'm complicated, because those days He loves me still.

2 comments:

lili said...

she is the definition of a true "big" sis. i feel her sense & need to protect as the oldest of 5...and yeah, what a reminder of the ONE who took our place.

-L

Heather Palacios said...

beautiful sister;
beautiful post;
beautiful woman who wrote it.