Thursday, August 30, 2007

A wonderful gift to give...


Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime;
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true, beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone;
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.

REINHOLD NIEBUHR

What a great feeling it is to be forgiven! When we know we have messed up and, in repentence, we come before our Father, ask for forgiveness and He does not deny it.
This is truly amazing and undeserved. Don't we all wish it was as easy for us to do the same? Instead, we struggle...trying our best to "forgive", but making sure we don't forget. I'm guilty of this myself...
Forgiveness sets us free, whether we give it or recive it, allowing us to move on. Isn't this one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves and others...the opportunity to move on? I know the relieve this brings to the heart..I've been forgiven. I pray that I can get better at this forgiveness thing, that I don't deny anyone this amazing gift and that I'm forgiven by those I may hurt...again and again.

No comments: