Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Don't forget to remember...

We live such busy lives, specially those that have been called to ministry. As we know, ministry is not a job, it's a life style. I see it all the time. As I had dinner with my favorite puertorican/ dominican, I lost count of all the phone calls, e-mails, text messages he got during that time. He would just look at me with puppy eyes and say "Sorry, I have to answer this one". I understood, because I know that ministry is not a 9-5 job...that's for sure. It doesn't stop.
The dangerous thing about it is that we can get caught up on all the doing and running and planning, sometimes forgetting about ourselves, about our own walk with God. Then, all of the sudden, we feel drained, tired and discouraged. This is only because we forgot to remember. Remember what? Remember that in order for our bodies to function properly, we must eat. We need nutrients that make us strong. Same in our spiritual walk. We need to take time to feed ourselves with the word, with moments of worship, with moments of meditating and moments of listening to what He, our God, has to say to us.
I mean, this can happen to any of us. It almost happened to me this past weekend. It was service after service and I kept on missing the teaching. I would hear people comment on how great the teaching was and how God had used our Pastor, but I kept missing the opportunity to just listen. I finally remember at the 5pm Sunday service and ran out to go to the auditorium to seat and listen. It's amazing how blessed I was by this weekends teaching. I needed it so much. It was a nice warm meal for my tired and hungry heart. I was SO GLAD for having had the opportunity to seat down and be fed. I'm glad I remembered.
That's where our strength will come from, for us to be able to keep up with the demands of ministry. Our strength, our spiritual energy will come, when we don't forget to remember.

No comments: